Friday, October 5, 2012

The Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad


Thankfully, the train didn't depart until 10am this morning, so I was able to sleep-in a little bit. I was up late last night doing laundry and writing yesterday's blog entry. Most of our group, a total of about 24 people, met for breakfast at 8am. I passed and opted for some breakfast on the way to the train later on. We all met at the train at 9:30am for the annual group shot, and that's always fun getting it organized and finally shot by numerous cameras.

Our group chartered a very nice parlor car at the end of the train, which came with its own attendant. Although we had just had breakfast, she had prepared a nice fruit plate for each of us, gave us all a souvenir pin from the railroad, as well as a nice beverage tumbler emblazoned with the railroad logo, with refills of any beverage of your choice. Now I know why the tickets were so expensive, but it's worth it. We had our own rear platform we could ride on to enjoy the passing scenery, take some pictures, and engage in good conversation.

About halfway through the trip, we stopped at a place called Osier for lunch, which is included in the fare. It's in the middle of nowhere, and they turn out amazing food. You have a choice of turkey and dressing with all the trimmings, or meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy and vegetables, or for the vegetarians on the train, a soup and salad selection. All served with dessert as well. They are very well set up to handle large crowds all arriving at once as there are actually two trains arriving very close together. This railroad runs between Chama, NM and Antonito, CO, and starts a train each day at both ends, and they meet at the lunch stop. When you get to the other end, buses drive the passengers back to their origination point. A vey good system. While we were eating, we couldn't help but notice the very large dirty bear prints on the windows. At night they come and try enter the building, and they stand up with their muddy paws against the glass and peer in the windows. The paw prints aren't removed to remind everyone that this is bear country, and by the size of the prints, they are very large.

After lunch, we departed once again towards Antonito, and soon we were preparing for a ceremony. It has become custom that when a member of this group, or their spouse, or other family members passes away, their ashes are spread along the rails at a particular location as a remembrance. The location is above a large and deep gorge by the side of the tracks, and just before the train enters one of the tunnels along the route. Today's ceremony was for a brother of one of the members that passed away a little over two months ago. A bottle of champagne is opened, everyone gets a small sample, and a toast is made to the deceased. At that point the container is opened, final goodbyes are said, and the ashes are released. It's always very emotional, and there isn't a dry eye in the car, including mine.

We wind our way through the mountains and enjoy the beautiful colors that this time of year ignites in this area. The aspen trees are on fire with yellow, red and orange leaves fluttering in the breeze.

We finally arrive in Antonito right on schedule and board the buses back to Chama. Once we got back we relax a bit and then head to dinner at a steakhouse across the street from the motel. The food was delicious, and the service was good. Then it's back to the hotel for the night. I'm heading back to Denver tomorrow to spend a couple of days with my friends before flying back to Houston on Monday. For more information about the train, here's the website: http://www.cumbrestoltec.com

I would like to conclude today's blog entry with a special poem that was shared with the group as we prepared for the spreading of the ashes. I was deeply moved by this poem, and I want to share it with you on this special day:

Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free
I'm following the path God laid for me.
I took his hand when I heard him call,
I turned my back and left it all.
I could not stay another day
To laugh, to love, to work or play.
Tasks left undone must stay that way
I found that peace at the close of the day.
If my parting has left a void, then fill it with remembered joy.
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss,
Ah yes, these things I too will miss.
Be not burdened with times of sorrow,
I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.
My life's been full, I've savored much,
Good friends, good times, a loved one's touch.
Perhaps my time seemed all too brief;
Don't lengthen it now with undue grief.
Lift up your heart and share with me,
God wanted me now, He set me free.

No comments:

Post a Comment