Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Colorado/New Mexico Vacation - 2015

Day 6 - Wednesday, September 30th

I slept in a little as I only had to drive about 2 hours to Chama today. I got all packed and loaded the car, went and got a late breakfast, filled up the car, and then headed about 4 miles south to a local church that was recommended to visit. It's called San Francisco de Asis and was built in 1772. That's 4 years before we were our own country! Another reminder of how old everything is in this area.

As I was headed out of town I crossed the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge, which is about 1000 feet above the river. I took a bunch of pictures and then continued on my way. It was a lovely drive up through the mountains until I reached Chama about 1pm. All my friends I am meeting here were out chasing trains, so I did some laundry, took a nap, then headed to Subway for a late lunch.

The inn we always stay at is owned by a wonderful couple named Starla and Chester. They live here on the premises, and we all met in their attached home about 6:30pm. Starla cooked a delicious dinner of Indonesian egg rolls called Lumpia, Cole slaw, white rice, cantaloupe, and for dessert, lemon bars. Some people reading this will be familiar with the term Lumpia, as this is what they call their same rolled delights in Guam. Starla told me the name originates from the Dutch that occupied Borneo for 500 years. Starla lived and worked in Borneo many years ago.

After dinner we all just sat around and told war stories, caught up on each other's lives, dove into politics a bit, and then called it a night. Tomorrow we don't have any special plans and we'll just see what happens as the day progresses. We might go chase the steam train a bit...always fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment