Monday, February 15, 2016


West Texas Vacation – Day 4
February 15, 2016

It only took us four hours to get home from Temple, and that includes a stop at a Mexican restaurant, and a Buc-ees. I was originally going to cut over to Highway 6 and down through Bryan-College Station, but instead took Highway 36 out of Temple and went south through Caldwell, where we ate lunch, on to Brenham, and finally into Houston. The routing down 36 was intentional for a very important reason...It follows the BNSF Railroad all the way, and I saw a lot of trains moving. Anyone that knows me also knows that is important to me!

Our lunch in Caldwell at the Mexican restaurant was good, but the service was awful. Very slow, and just like last night at the steakhouse in Temple, they got the order wrong. How difficult can it be?

Throughout the trip we were looking for good places to stop and take pictures, and hit some stores as well, but there just wasn't anything to stop for. So we drove a total of 1213 miles in four days door-to-door, didn't get to visit the mountains because of lodging problems, a Supreme Court justice died 30 minutes away from us, and it was just a weird trip overall. Lawrence never complained about basically doing nothing for four days but sit in the backseat of the car keeping the dog company and being bored. I apologized a couple of times and he said it wasn't a problem. We'll do something nice soon.

The most important thing is we are all safe at home now. We have some laundry to do, pay a few bills, and relax a bit. I think I'll make spaghetti tonight!

Thanks for reading, and hopefully enjoying, my travel writings. I do it for me and my bad memory, but I hope you get a little something out of it as well.

What's next in the travel department? Well, looks like June and our annual trip to Minnesota, Lawrence's birthplace, and then in July I may be going on an alaskan cruise! We're still working on the details. I was also possibly going to Switzerland in August on a two-week tour of mountain railroads throughout the area, but I can't do both, so it looks like Alaska wins. I've always wanted to go there, and now may be my chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment